- The airline requires stewardesses and stewards to colour their hair black or dark brown. The airline does not allow for stewardesses or stewards to use highlights. Acceptable shades of hair colours are black or dark brown. Stewardesses with long hair are to coil their hair into buns or French Twists. Stewards are to sport short hair above their collar lines and sideburns no longer than the ear lobes. Fringes (bangs) of Stewards do not touch eyebrows.
- No fanciful, dangling earrings allowed. Only studs or pearls. No chains and necklaces allowed. Only simple bracelets and rings can be worn. Only small and simple watches can be worn.
- Toenails must be of the bright red colour prescribed by the company. If her toenails are not painted, stockings must be worn to substitute for the non red toenails.
- Eyebrows must be shaped, and cannot be the fake drawn-on or tattooed types. Eye shadow must be of the colour prescribed by the company – either blue or brown, depending on skin tone.
- Lipstick colour must be among the few shades of bright red prescribed by the company. Pink or plum colours are not allowed.
- Nail polish must be of the bright red colour prescribed by the company. Nails should not be chipped.
The Singapore Girl marketing concept has been criticized as being sexist – apart from the inaccuracy of the term “Girl”, the concept has been accused of being a stereotype of Asian women as being desirable and subservient to white males.[unquote] [Emphasis supplied]